Benjamin Abalos, was arrested by police after he surrendered with his lawyers to officials of Manila regional trial court.
Abalos has been charged with elections fraud with former President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.
The former election chairman will be held in a police detention facility, unlike Arroyo, who is under arrest in a government hospital.
A police officer took his fingerprints and mugshots before detaining Abalos at a regional police headquarter.
He said, that he surrendered to show his innocence to charges that he played a role in rigging 2007 senatorial elections to ensure the victory of Arroyo’s candidates in a Muslim autonomous region then governed by her political ally.
Last year, after a landslide election victory of Pres. Benigno Aquino III, he promised to fight corruption and crushing poverty.
Aquino blamed Gloria Arroyo for a decade of scandals that eroded public trust in government and held back foreign investment.
On the other hand, Arroyo denied any wrongdoings and accused the Aquino government of using ‘black propaganda’ to ruin her image. She was arrested last month at a private hospital and later was moved to a public veterans’ hospital.
- Rep. Gloria Arroyo Postpones her Trip Abroad
- Former President Gloria Arroyo is Now Fit to Go Home?
- Jinggoy Estrada Offers their Tanay Family Rest House and a Pony For Gloria Arroyo’s House Arrest?
- Pres. Noy Aquino Does Not Object to Former Pres. Arroyo’s Hospital Arrest
- Former Pres. Gloria Arroyo is Now Under Hospital Arrest